Sunday, February 22, 2015

Have I become a movie buff?

Of late, I have been watching too many movies. Was that 15 in the last 3 months? Something close, if not exactly 15. In reality, my count hasn't ever crossed 5 per year. However, this time it was too high for my standards. What, 60 per year at this rate! I don't think so. Even if I do want to see so many, there should be that many good movies released! On this front (making good movies), I tend to appreciate the movies made by the American's (to some extent the English).
Agreed, some might say my universe (or sample in other words) is too small! I only understand Telugu, Hindi and English. Hence, any movie in Telugu or Hindi is by an Indian. Those made outside and those that I watch are only English movies. Therefore, it is but natural that the Americans or the British made those movies. What is so much to compare? For those who love evaluating various aspects of an argument, here goes another element (apart from language), time span - the movies I watched were made during the last 30 or 40 years. Hey, that was not deduced from my age; one can watch movies made before one's birth!
OK. Why did I conclude that certain people make better movies? I could probably enumerate many technically appropriate reasons, but one thing that beats all is the result - how many of the movies I watched were English (American/ British)? Yes, the strongest reason why I made that conclusion was, two (if not more) out of every three movies I watched are English. I believe this proportion is only going to get more favorable towards the English movies.
Now, let me try to give you some of the technical reasons for my proclivity to the English movies. After all, that is what we would love to discuss and hear!
1. These movies tend to have some uniqueness in their story line or the way the story is narrated.
2. Amazing literature that forms the basis for these movies (Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean)
3. The performers don't act, they tend to live in those roles/ characters -- making the movie appear real -- credit also goes to the directors and their commitment to make movies look real.
4. Use of technology that makes the created scenes look real on the screen
5. Budget? Of course, that is what makes it possible to make such huge investments to achieve the quality.
As I have been focusing more and more on the movies, styles of making movies (in India or otherwise), styles of directors and actors, because I have started watching more movies, I would be able to add more details to the list, along with more examples.

No comments: